Having identified that my work has a habitual element I decided to work on a series of mono prints as a continuation of exercise 2.
I began by working with my right hand, and having completed two drawings then decided to do one drawing with my right and one with my left for each image. All of the drawings were done quickly, and mostly without looking at the paper, just at the image. At the end of the drawing stage I then added in tone with my fingers – sometimes blindly and sometimes using the back drawing.
There are varying degrees of success in the work – some of them appear cartoon-like or too vague. However, there are some interesting developments as I worked through the photographs (these are a new set of Angela Johnson’s that I found on Facebook).
I particularly liked the effect that I managed to create tonally when rubbing the paper in a certain way or using a hardened brush e.g.:-
I like the distortion of the face and the textural quality of some of the mono prints – something I need to work at now bringing into my painting.
I also liked the overlaid quality of the first print above, the hair smudges being slightly offset to the drawing of the hair. The second print is also atmospheric and contains some interesting differences in mark making. A point I also need to remember with my painting – not to stick to one brush size – that as with drawing, I can create a whole variety of marks with the type of brush that I have and the way I apply the paint to the page.