Exercise 2.3

This is an exercise I struggled to start.  It felt as though so many things needed to be resolved before I could really begin. Finally, having come to some kind of conclusion with my Humbrol experiments I attempted my first painting on 3-D which actually came out really well in terms of what I had…

Further work for 2.1 – Humbrol on metal

I wanted to continue my experiments with Humbrol by producing a series of 16 small images using at least 3 layers of paint. I printed off the general page on Facebook that comes up when you search on a name – lots of small images with people’s gravatars and I used these images as my…

Exercise 2.4 – remaining work

I have now reached a point with my experiments – I feel at a conclusion with my left handed and blind paintings and will soon complete the Humbrol paintings.  I feel these different approaches have taught me:- pace – to slow and consider more to connect to the way my hand draws in a different…

Exercise 2.4 [UNFINISHED – POSTED FOR TUTORIAL – TO BE COMPLETED]

To continue my re-learning with my painting I have approached this exercise using my left hand only.  This time I did look at the page, however, I tried to keep the brushes large to avoid the need for limited mark making. Piece 1:- Piece 2:- I am interested that something rather animalistic is coming through…

Exercise 2.1 revisited

Having worked on the mono prints for exercise 2.2 I now felt able to go back and use the Humbrol paint with a little more flexibility. I had left the pieces painted on the drypoint sheet for a while and going back to them over a week later enabled me to relate to them differently. The second…

Exercise 2.2 continued

Having identified that my work has a habitual element I decided to work on a series of mono prints as a continuation of exercise 2. I began by working with my right hand, and having completed two drawings then decided to do one drawing with my right and one with my left for each image….

Exercise 2.2

I am really fed up with myself at this point.  I feel my work is going nowhere.  I am churning out the same stuff I usually do bar a few differences here and there. How to change this?  I have been reading MacDonald J (2010) Drawing around the body:- the manual and visual practice of drawing…

Part 2 investigatory work (Additional work for part 3)

In my attempt to move away from a literal interpretation of my images and to start layering as suggested by my tutor, I worked next on a set of mono prints of 6 of the different Angela Johnson’s – but this time as screen prints. I painted the inks onto the screen as well as using…

Part 2 investigatory work (Exercise 3.3)

I worked on these images in pairs, trying to use different techniques and colour ways for each image. It is interesting seeing them working (or not) together.  Note to myself to consider pairing up the Angela Johnson images using a common theme.   I was trying to experiment with my connection with the uncanny and…

Part 2 Investigatory work (Exercise 3.2)

I wanted to try and work with my self-portraits as the speed they were produced lent themselves to being more abstract.  I also want to continue work on the Angela Johnson project with this set of work so I am using my self portrait to experiment with.  I will then be able to use what…

Part 2 Investigatory work (Exercise 3.1)

1 minute   2 minutes 3 minutes   Reflections:- 2 minutes seemed to be the optimum time.  1 minute was too rushed and 3 minutes ended up overworked. Only keeping a small detail defined added interest – there are too many that have too much information and look a mess. For example,  the detail of one…